Celebrate the great legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
January 3, 2018 — Miami-Dade County
County offices and libraries will be closed Monday, Jan. 15. Browse for a listing of events that will be held to celebrate the holiday as well as the County services affected.
- The Pet Adoption and Protection Center will be closed on Monday, Jan. 15. Cats being presented for Trap, Neuter, Return (TNR) Services must be dropped off no later than Friday, Jan. 12 in order to allow for proper recovery from sterilization and safe return to the community prior to the holiday.
- Solid Waste Management will not collect curbside garbage or trash, but recycling service will be provided. The Resources Recovery Facility, North Dade Landfill and South Dade Landfill will be open and observe regular hours of operation.
- Miami‑Dade libraries will be closed Sunday, Jan. 14 and Monday, Jan. 15.
- Miami-Dade Transit will operate on a regular schedule.
MLK Day Events
- Candlelight Vigil in North Miami honor of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Jan. 10
Join us as we salute the work and the vision of Dr. King through spoken word, song and dance. Participate in a circle of unity as we come together to keep the dream alive.
- 6th Annual MLK Business Expo Jan. 12
The free community event will provide products and services in the South Dade area, and will give a chance to network with key business professionals, get insight on government services, and much more.
- 35th Annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. 5K Run Walk Jan. 15
This race starts at 8 a.m. at the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Metrorail Station at 6205 NW 27th Avenue. From there, attend the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Parade that kicks off at Northwest 54th Street. Register now!
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Parade Jan. 15
Miami celebrates with the annual MLK Jr. Parade in Liberty City. The parade takes place along NW 54th Street, from NW 10th Avenue to NW 32nd Avenue. The Pan-African & Caribbean Family Festival immediately follows at Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Park. Parade-goers will expect high school marching bands, athletes, cheerleaders, floats, cars and fire trucks with local politicians. For more information call 305-857-8246.
- All for Good Volunteer Events
Join other volunteers from throughout the County to work in building benches, painting murals, cleanup and other enhancements. Become part of Dr. King's legacy through service.
- 14th Annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Inspirational Weekend Jan. 12-15
Make your day off a “day on” by giving back to the community through a meaningful project. Become a sponsor or volunteer.
- MLK Day of Service Event at Gwen Cherry Park Jan. 13
Projects include mulching, painting, removing debris and other beautification activities throughout the park. Register now.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. National Service Day Celebrations Jan. 15
Branches will once again celebrate and honor Martin Luther King, Jr. through a day of community service in Florida City and South Miami.