Request Certificate of Occupancy Inspection
Certificate of Occupancy (CO) Inspections are required for all commercial buildings (apartment buildings and townhomes included) whether it is new construction or remodeling of existing construction.
You will need approved fire plans and a fire permit for this type of inspection.
Inspections are conducted by sworn fire personnel who are state-certified inspectors.
New Construction Inspection Performed
Our Fire Prevention Division inspect all commercial buildings whether it is new construction or remodeling of existing construction. They will only inspect commercial buildings (apartment buildings and townhomes included). Single-family homes are not inspected.
Once the building has been inspected they will issue the Certificate of Occupancy (CO). You will then be required to schedule a Certificate of Use Fire Inspection by calling 786-331-4800.
The following are the types of new construction inspections performed:
- Preliminary Inspection
- Temporary CO Inspection
- Final Inspection Required for CO
- Sprinkler System Rough Inspection
- Sprinkler System Pressure Test
- Sprinkler System Final
- Inspection Fire Pump Start Up
- Sprinkler Underground
- Water Main Ext./Fire Hydrant
- Entrance Features
- Fire Alarm Inspection
- Fire Suppression System
- Generator Load Test (Level 1)
Requesting a Fire Inspection
To request a Fire Inspection you will need approved fire plans and a fire permit for this type of inspection.
Inspections and Cancellation of inspections must be scheduled before 4:00 p.m. on the day prior to the inspection.
All cancellations made after 4:00 p.m. will result in an automatic re-inspection fee.
Inspections may be cancelled if re-inspection fees are due from prior inspections.
These Special Fire Inspections may be scheduled outside of regular business hours.
- Weekday Special Request Inspections must be requested before 1:00 p.m. for same day inspections.
- Weekend Special Request Inspections must be requested by Friday before 1:00 p.m.
- Special Request Inspections are subjected to availability.
- There is no guarantee that this inspection will be performed on the date requested.
- You will receive a phone call from one of our staff members to inform you who the inspector will be; or if the Special Request Inspection cannot be scheduled for that day.
Fire Prevention Division