Apply for a County Job
All Miami-Dade County employment applications must be completed online. Completing the employment application is not difficult. It will take anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes to complete. If you do not have access to a personal computer, visit a Miami-Dade Public Library for free computer use. Before applying for a job, you must create an online profile.
Eligibility & Requirements
- A written performance test or pre-employment test may be required.
- Eligible veterans and spouses of veterans may receive preference for non-exempt vacant positions.
- Hiring decisions are based upon satisfactory results of a physical examination, including drug and alcohol screening, and a review of the results of a pre-employment fingerprint-based national criminal background check.
- Ex-offenders can still be hired based on a number of relevant factors.
- If you have a disability and need help with employment applications, examinations or interviews (including sign language translation), call the Office of Reasonable Accommodation at 305-375-5759. You can also email email@example.com. Complete the Applicant Reasonable Accommodation form to request additional help.
- You do not need to register to search for jobs.
- As you search for jobs, you can choose to receive emails about new job postings that meet saved criteria.
- If there is no current job opening, you can still complete an application that will be kept on file for a minimum of two years for future review by recruiters.
Responding to Job Postings
Miami-Dade County advertises job opportunities online and in print. When responding to a print advertisement or online posting, the job will be associated with a job opening number. To find a job announcement for which you have only a job opening number, go to the jobs search page, then click on Advanced Search. Once on the Advanced Job Search page, leave all fields blank except for the Job Opening ID field. Enter the job opening number then click Search.
Applying for Multiple Positions
Miami-Dade County procedures require one application per job opening. You must apply for each job opportunity you are interested in. There is no limit to the number of jobs you can apply for.
Expressing General Interest
When expressing a general interest in employment with Miami-Dade County, your application will be saved in a database available to hiring managers and recruiters. If you have indicated that you have the knowledge, skills and abilities the County is looking for, you may be contacted to apply or interview for a specific position.
In the Miami-Dade County employment system, there are two categories of jobs:
- Classified Service
The classified service is the County's civil service system and consists of all positions not specifically exempted in Section 2-41 of the Code of Miami-Dade County. Employees occupying these positions are subject to the Personnel Rules for the Classified Service. Among other important protections, once employees successfully complete their probationary periods, employees in the classified service earn seniority rights to the classifications in which they have served and have various appeal rights.
- Exempt Service
Employees in positions exempted from the classified service by Section 2-41 of the Code of Miami-Dade County work at the discretion of their respective department directors.
- Classified Service
Technical Assistance (Non-County Employees)
Technical Assistance (County Employees)
Human Resources New Hire Center